Important: For all applications rice flour or maize starch is required for dusting to avoid sticking.
1. Preheat oven (conventional) to 400° F and oil 10 inch pizza trays.
Note: Diet permitting, yeast and sugar can be removed from the below (no. 2) instructions - follow all other instructions.
2. Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 8.8 fl oz lukewarm water or milk (dairy, soy, rice) and stir in 7g (0.2 oz) instant dried yeast. Allow the yeast mixture to rest in a warm place for approx 5 minutes or until active and frothy. If using water in place of milk additional time will be required to activate yeast.
3. Empty the contents of this pack in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
4. Add 20 mL (0.7 oz) olive oil to other liquid mixture and add this to the flour. Combine with a spoon until the dough can be collected in a ball and kneaded by hand. Knead dough briefly on a board dusted with rice flour, divide into 3 pieces, and roll out into circles to fit pizza trays or desired thickness.
5. Top with desired toppings and bake for 15-20 minutes until the toppings are bubbly and golden.
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
1. Empty contents of this pack into a large bowl with 2 tbsp caster sugar and mix.
2. Rub 120g (4.2 oz) cold butter or vegetable margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles a fine crumb (if using butter cut into fine diced size pieces)
3. Make a well in the center.
4. Whisk 1 egg and 40 mL (1.4 oz) cold water together in a separate bowl and add this to the dry ingredients. Note: If not using egg increase water to 150 mL total.
5. Using a fork, bring the pastry together, then form into a ball with your hands.
6. Knead gently on a floured board for a few minutes before rolling out.
7. To prevent sticking, roll out onto baking paper or cling film.
8. Pastry will be quite crumbly - handle carefully and use as required.
Note: Using plastic cling wrap on the board helps to reduce breakages when handling as the pastry will be quite crumbly.
For savory pastry remove the sugar.
1. Preheat oven (conventional) to 350° F.
2. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper or lightly dust with rice flour.
3. In a large bowl, blend contents of this pack, 3-4g (1 tsp) baking powder and 16g (1 tbsp) sugar.
4. Cut 30g (1.0 oz) cold butter into small cubes and rub into flour blend until it looks like fine crumbs. Make a well in the center.
5. Whisk 2 eggs and 40 mL (1.4 fl oz) milk together in a separate bowl and add to crumb mixture.
6. Mix with fork until mixture begins to hold together.
7. Knead lightly by hand until just evenly combined.
8. On board lightly dusted with rice flour, gently press out dough to 1 inch.
9. Cut rounds with a 5cm cutter and place on baking tray.
10. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes 12 scones.