If your idea of a “balanced breakfast” is one you can unwrap in the car, these banana nut muffins fit the bill. They even fit nicely in a cup holder – right next to your coffee. While distracted driving is a big no-no, nibbling on these healthy banana muffins at every stop light is a go-go. You’ll notice the sweet crumb topping right away. But a few bites in, and you’ll be hit with protein, chia seeds and chunks of walnuts. Let all those nutrients sink in. You’ll need them to fuel the rest of your commute.
2 chia eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup gluten-free flour
1/2 cup Designer Protein Sunshine Organic Protein in Vanilla
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
4 Tbsp. oats
1 Tbsp. gluten-free flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- Prepare chia eggs: In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons chia seeds with 6 tablespoons water. Set in fridge for 5 minutes to gel.
- In a large bowl, add mashed bananas, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in coconut oil, vanilla and chia eggs.
- Add flour, protein powder, oats and walnuts. Stir to combine.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin pan, filling each well almost to the top.
- In a small bowl, add all crumble ingredients and use a fork to mix together.
- Top each muffin with crumble mixture, distributing evenly across all muffins.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.