An appetizer is meant to be shared. That’s why you don’t see spaghetti on the starters menu. What you will find, however, is this flatbread. First of all, the recipe makes enough to feed a crowd – twice. But it also comes with the flavors, textures and colors that please most palates. The base, for instance, is a crispy-edged crust made of almond flour and flax meal. And on top of that is a creamy mix of bright green pea pesto and perfectly blanched broccoli. With so much to offer, you may not even make it to the main course.
Makes 24 squares; 10-12 servings
1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Almond Flour Mix
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
1-1/2 cups basil leaves
2 small cloves garlic (or 1 large clove)
2 Tbsp. almond flour
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cups broccoli florets (just the top 3/4 inch)
Pinch of salt
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover two baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, water, vinegar and eggs.
3. Add baking mix and stir until well combined. Let dough sit 4 minutes to thicken.
4. dough into two equal portions. Place one portion on each baking sheet.
5. Run hands under water to moisten and prevent sticking. Shape each dough ball into a 7-inch circle. Bake them both at the same time for 15 minutes.
6. While dough is baking, prepare pesto: add all pesto ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
7. Bring to a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. While you wait, fill a large bowl with water and 2 cups ice. Set aside.
8. Once water is boiling, add broccoli florets and cook 90 seconds to 2 minutes, or until bright green.
9. Using a slotted spoon, transfer broccoli to ice bath to cool and stop cooking. After 2 minutes, drain broccoli.
10. Add broccoli to pesto mixture and stir to combine.
1Once crusts are done baking, spread broccoli-pesto mixture over top. Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
Garnish with basil leaves, red pepper flakes, sprouts or edible flowers, if desired.
Cut each flatbread into 12 squares for a total of 24 squares.