When it comes to pleasing all your guests this holiday season–from your stepsister, the earthy-crunchy vegan, to your aunt who believes you can never have too much butter–the answer is this creamy, I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-dairy pumpkin soup. With a few simple modifications to the heavy holiday classic, you can create a healthy, plant-based version that’s still as rich and velvety as the one you grew up eating. It’s a winning recipe that even your turkey-loving cousin can get behind.
Pumpkin Hemp Soup
1 package Tempt hemp tofu
1 can pure pumpkin
1 onion, diced
2 -3 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup cashew butter or cashew cream
1-½ cups unsweetened cashew or nut milk of choice
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper, optional
1. In a medium pan, lightly sauté chopped onion in coconut oil until golden brown, then add hemp tofu and spices until nicely browned.
2. In a separate pot, add pumpkin, cashew cream or butter, milk of choice and peppers, if desired.
3. Add browned onion and tofu to the pot. Cover and cook on medium-low for approximately 20-25 minutes, just warm enough to your taste.
4. Transfer into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend well. This will be a hearty, creamy, thicker consistency. For a thinner consistency, add more milk or some water.
5. Garnish with a dollop of cashew cream and chopped green onions or chives.