Crunching through fresh snow; ice skating across frozen ponds; sipping apple cider next to a crackling fire — the cold weather sure brings its own magic. But, it also brings with it some frustrating health and wellness challenges – namely, dry skin, cold and flu season, and extra stress.
To keep your winter magical, your body has to be strong enough to withstand the rigors of the season. Besides getting enough rest and exercise, nourishing your body is the biggest step you can take to make sure your winter is more ho ho ho than cough cough cough.
If you’re looking for some extra support, check out this list of three edible plants that offer total-body benefits – from the inside out.
1. Green tea
Its leaves may be small but its benefits are big! Green tea is considered one of the healthiest beverages in the world. So much more than just a tasty way to warm up on a chilly day, green tea — rich in EGCG catechins — provides antioxidant protection while also being cardioprotective and immunoprotective.†
Green tea benefits are wide ranging, helping with everything from overall cellular health to supporting healthy weight maintenance.† It’s also known for:
- Supporting the normal functioning of cells†
- Supporting healthy immune function†
- Supporting healthy metabolism†
- Supporting a healthy cardiovascular system†
Applied topically, green tea can help support the health of your skin thanks to its high concentration of antioxidants and its anti-inflammatory properties.† Externally, green tea helps to:
- Support healthy skin
- Reduce puffiness and redness
- Calm blemishes
- Gently exfoliate (if used in a cleanser with dried green tea leaves)
- Protect against damage caused by UV rays from the sun
A favorite holiday flavor, peppermint can either soothe or invigorate the senses while also toning skin and even relieving pain. Like green tea, peppermint is another super-plant that boasts many health benefits.
Peppermint offers relief for both the body and the mind. It aids in:
- Soothing sore throats†
- Relieving congestion†
- Supporting healthy digestion†
- Calming stress†
- Relieving headaches or minor aches and pains†
Peppermint can be a great addition to your skincare routine. Use it to rejuvenate your pores and aid your skin in restoring its natural oil levels. Peppermint can help to:
- Brighten skin
- Tone skin
- Limit the secretion of excess oil
Though technically a part of the oat plant, whole, rolled oats are so packed with benefits, they deserve a spot on this list!
Rich in antioxidants and both soluble and insoluble fiber, oats play a part in:
- Helping support healthy cholesterol levels†
- Supporting heart health†
- Maintenance of healthy blood sugar†
- Helping your body maintain healthy blood pressure levels†
- Promoting weight-loss†
- Encouraging regular bowel movements†
Tr it: Oats are incredibly versatile and can be used in recipes from breakfast to dinner– and any snacking in between! Take oats with you anywhere with this to-go cup of oatmeal. Enjoy them for dessert with this gluten-free mini cranberry walnut tart recipe.
Because oats are an excellent source of antioxidants and boast anti-inflammatory benefits, they can help to:
- Soothe and relieve itchy/irritated skin
- Restore damage from pollution and UV rays
- Naturally and gently cleanse without stripping natural oils
- Naturally exfoliate (because of their texture)
†These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.