As summer comes to a close, long, sunny days will soon become a distant memory. Make the most out of the fading season and enjoy all its best offerings, like ripe, freshly picked blueberries. This wholesome blackberry pie, made from scratch with fresh berries and a healthy whole wheat crust, is just what you need to finish a picnic in the warm sun.
Fresh Blackberry Pie with Whole Wheat Crust
2-½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 cup butter, chilled and cubed
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
½ tsp. salt
½ cup ice water
¼ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 tsp. lemon zest
4 cups fresh blackberries
1 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ cup sugar
- First, prepare crust. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour and salt together. Add butter and mix with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- A tablespoon at a time, add water, mixing until batter sticks together and becomes a dough. Separate into two equal pieces and flatten each into a circle. Wrap separately in plastic wrap and let chill in fridge for one hour.
- After chilling, preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and gently mix until combined.
- Lightly flour a large, flat surface. Roll out chilled dough into two 12-inch circles.
- Flatten one circle of dough into pie plate. Pour entire filling mixture into shell and carefully cover with second circle. Leave ½-inch of overhang and fold dough over to seal. Cut four slits in the center of the top crust, and lightly brush with milk and sugar.
- Put pie plate on middle rack in oven and place a baking pan below on lower rack. Bake for 25 minutes. Lower temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack for one hour.