If you’re following a grain-free diet, you may be suffering from…overnight oats envy. All those fruit-topped, chia-packed concoctions, filling quaint Mason jars to the brim and beckoning with their grab-and-go breakfast appeal—they’re off limits to you. Until now, that is. This recipe replaces ordinary oats with a mixture of chopped walnuts and coconut shreds, softened overnight in creamy non-dairy milk with diced apple bits and cinnamon. Warm it on the stove in the morning for a hot cereal that blows away other time-consuming, less-nutritious versions you’ve made. Bonus point—it’s also vegan!
Grain-Free Apple Cinnamon Overnight Protein “N’Oatmeal”
1 cup walnut halves
1 cup unsweetened coconut
3 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2-3 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 cups non-dairy milk*
1/2 cup organic apple juice
1 small apple, peeled and diced
*I use ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk mixed with ¾ cup water.
- In food processor, pulse walnuts until very finely chopped, to the consistency of coarse sand. (Note: If using coconut shreds or flakes that are large, add to food processor along with walnuts. If using finely shredded coconut, simply add to pot along with ground walnuts in step 2.)
- In small pot or saucepan, combine walnut/coconut mixture with chia seeds, protein powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add milk, apple juice and diced apple to pot. Stir again, until combined.
- Cover pot with lid and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, the mixture will be thick. If needed, add water or non-dairy milk and stir.
- Return lid to pot and warm over very low heat before serving.