Include your dog in the St. Patrick’s Day festivities with these green dog treats. Colored naturally with chlorophyll and turmeric, these whole-grain biscuits include peanut butter powder and unsweetened applesauce for beg-worthy flavor. Whole grain ingredients and seeds include brown rice flour, oat flour and ground flax for tummy friendly fiber and satisfying texture. Play with the amount of chlorophyll and turmeric for the right shade of green. You’ll get a kick out of the fun shapes and colors, and your pup will love the special snack!
Green Dog Treats for St. Patrick's Day
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 40 dog treats
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 3 Tbsp. peanut butter powder
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 2 Tbsp. flax ground
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2-3 capsules chlorophyll
- .5 – 1 tsp. turmeric
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
Add wet ingredients to dry and combine until dough is smooth.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest 5 minutes.
Roll dough to ¼-inch thickness.
Using cookie cutter, cut shapes and place on lined cookie sheet.
Bake 20-30 minutes or until firm to touch and bottoms are golden brown. (Note: For softer treats, bake for less time.)
Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- For crunchy treats, keep stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. These treats will last 4-6 weeks. Refrigerate for longer shelf-life.
- For soft treats, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These can also be frozen for up to 3 months. If your pooch doesn’t have teeth issues, there’s no reason you can’t give her a frozen treat.
- For a darker green, add another chlorophyll capsule.
- Blending turmeric with chlorophyll produces a bright Kelly green. Add more or reduce until you have the desired color.
- Grab these ingredients and more at Vitacost.com.