When life gives you hemp seeds and tofu, make veggie burgers. You might be tempted to heat up a frozen patty instead—after all, homemade veggie burgers can be crumbly and often fall apart. But this recipe is simple and foolproof. The result is eight thick, protein-packed patties that will even make meat lovers drool.
1 cup hulled hemp seed hearts
1 lb. firm tofu
3 cups plain, dried bread crumbs
¼ cup diced onion
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. dried parsley
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a large baking with a generous amount of oil.
- In a blender or food processor, process tofu until smooth.
- Add hemp and sunflower seeds, onion, nutritional yeast, garlic clove and soy sauce. Process for another 2-3 minutes, until seeds have been pulverized and mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs with basil, salt, parsley, garlic powder, thyme and pepper.
- Add hemp-tofu mixture to bread crumbs and mix together. Form mixture into eight patties and place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.