Cranberry sauce comes to dinner once a year to star next to the big juicy Thanksgiving turkey and piping hot gravy. This year, why not whip up a dish of your own tasty cranberry sauce — without the mound of refined sugar most recipes call for!
Fresh-squeezed orange juice and zest tone down the natural tartness of cranberries while applesauce and maple syrup offer smooth, sweet notes to this Thanksgiving staple.
Homemade Citrus Cranberry Sauce
Yield: 2 cups; 16 servings of 2 Tbsp. each
- Add cranberries to a small sauce pan.
- Zest and juice orange and add to pan along with applesauce and maple syrup.
- Bring mixture to a boil (cranberries will start to pop). Reduce heat a simmer then stir and cover.
- Simmer about 20 minutes or until most of the cranberries are broken apart. Stir occasionally. (Sauce will thicken as it cools.)
- Serve warm or make ahead 2-3 days before serving. Store refrigerated in sealed glass container.
Nutritional stats: 63 cals; 0g fat; 15g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugar, 0g protein