Paired with a creamy, coconut-based garlic sauce, these mini purple hasselback potatoes make for a delicious dinner side dish. The best part? The ingredients used in this recipe make it A-OK for those following the Whole30 diet protocol. These vibrant potatoes, reminiscent of gnocchi, are also a great vegetarian option to bring to potlucks and barbecues. In a shallow serving dish, toss these baby spuds with sauce and share!
1-1/2 lbs. baby purple potatoes
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. ghee
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp. tapioca starch
Salt & pepper to taste
- Line baking sheet and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Carefully cut vertical slits into each potato about every 1/8”. Do not slice all the way through. Tip: Place each potato between two chopsticks or pencils to help keep potatoes sturdy.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and toss to coat with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes in single layer and cook 20 to 22 minutes.
- In shallow, oven-safe saucepan, combine coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, minced garlic and garlic powder and stir. Warm on med-high. When mixture begins to simmer, whisk in tapioca starch until lumps disappear. Lower heat and continue to simmer, around 12 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning. Once sauce thickens and coats back of spoon nicely, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove potatoes from oven and arrange in sauce pan with sauce in single layer. Using spoon, drizzle sauce over potatoes and return to oven. Bake for additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and sauce is thick.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and more salt and pepper. Cool for a few minutes and serve while still hot.