Admit it, you wish you ate more kale. But you’re stumped on ways to bring it to the table. More bitter and tougher than other leafy greens, it may seem kale’s best spot is in soups, stews and heartier dishes—all of which are great, when you have the time to cook. Ruling out raw, though, would be a mistake! All it takes is a little prep work, namely massaging, for silkier and somewhat sweet leaves to create a superfood kale salad.
Superfood Kale Salad
1 bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed (save stems and ribs for juicing or eating later)
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 Tbsp. flaxseed oil
3/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
5 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Tear kale leaves into small pieces and place in large bowl.
- Massage avocado into kale leaves with your fingers, covering the kale with avocado.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir, or continue to massage the mixture with your fingers, until everything is well combined.
- Add more of any of the ingredients to taste.
- Increase the amount of nutritional yeast if you would like the salad to have a cheesy flavor.
- Add pumpkin seeds for more protein.
- Wrap salad in a brown rice wrap for portability or to make a sandwich for kale wraps.
- Add 2 tsp. garlic powder for a garlic kale salad.
Nutrition info: 426 calories, 24 grams fat, 35 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams fiber, 29 grams protein