Vegans, vegetarians and those cutting back on meat know: meat alternatives can be quite unappetizing. On game day especially–when your meat-loving friends are biting into juicy burgers and wings coated with hot sauce–your meatless options rally even less excitement. What’s a plant-based foodie to do when the big game’s on? Leave that lifeless veggie patty buried in the bottom of your freezer and whip up these falafel-wrapped veggie corn dogs instead. Score!
Vegan Falafel Corn Dog Recipe
½ cup chickpea flour
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
¼ cup red onion, diced
⅛ cup cilantro, diced
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. turmeric, ground
1 tsp. red pepper flakes, ground
Handful of cilantro or parsley, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Pink salt, to taste
Mustard, to taste, optional
4 vegan hot dogs
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all batter ingredients and process until batter is almost smooth, leaving some small chunks.
- Divide mixture into four equal portions. Flatten each portion into a hot dog-length square. Roll each square evenly around one hot dog. Set aside at room temperature for approximately 10 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Carefully place each falafel corn dog in oil, trying not to splash oil on yourself. Cook until golden brown and flip to cook other side, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set cooked corn dogs on plate to remove excess oil and cool. Once they’ve cooled enough to touch, insert sticks.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ketchup, Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce or Vegan Ranch Dressing.
- These are pretty filling, so feel free to slice hot dogs in half before coating with falafel batter.
- If you prefer baking, heat oven to 450 degrees F. After falafel batter has been rolled around hot dogs, place them far apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
If you’re hungry for more, download our vegan recipe book.