Ready in 30 minutes, this dairy-free pasta dish is ideal for a springtime meal. The creamy sauce is made with creative ingredients, including soaked almonds, firm tofu, fresh basil and zesty lemon. It’s an aromatic culinary creation that can be served garnished will a lemon wheel – or eaten right out of the pot (we won’t tell!). Feel free to get creative and freshen up this dish with some greens by mixing in three cups of spinach to the pasta before serving.
Vegan Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- 7 oz. firm tofu, pressed
- 1 cup slivered almonds, soaked for at least 6 hours & drained
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 lb. fettuccine or bucatini
- 1 cup vegan ricotta (see recipe above)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3/4 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- Sliced basil, to garnish
- Sliced lemons, to garnish
In food processor, add tofu, soaked almonds, basil, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Pulse until slightly thick and chunky. Cover and transfer to refrigerator until time to use.
In large pot, bring salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and use colander to drain the rest. Turn off heat and return pasta to pot.
In medium bowl, combine vegan ricotta with avocado oil, vegan parmesan, lemon juice and zest, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture onto pasta and slowly stir in reserved pasta water until you reach desired thickness. Turn on heat to warm through.
Garnish with lemon wheels and basil and serve immediately.
- Soak almonds in the morning before making this recipe.
- Firm tofu typically comes in 14-oz. containers. Use half the container for this recipe.
- To figure out how much salt to add to your pasta while it cooks, consider this: I use 1 tablespoon salt for 1 lb. pasta (that’s around 1 tablespoon salt for 4 quarts water). Why do this? To flavor your pasta while it cooks!
- Bucatini pasta has a hollow center, which is perfect for soaking up creamy sauces. If you don’t have it on hand, opt for linguine, fettuccine or spaghetti!
- Shop these ingredients at Vitacost.com!