Reishi supplements - a growing trend
The concept of consuming fungi for health and wellness purposes originated thousands of years ago in China, but has gained popularity throughout the world in the last several decades.
Traditional Chinese Medicine utilized many different species of mushrooms, including Reishi (Gandoderma lucidum). In fact, this specific species was actually referred to as the "mushroom of immortality" and the "elixir of life."
What's so special about Reishi?
- Bioactive compounds: Contained within this plant are special plant compounds, including polysaccharides and Ling Zhi-8 (LZ-8), a protein that may impact the immune system.
- Health-promoting properties: Reishi mushroom extract may support healthy function of immune cells, T-cells and maintenance of DNA replication. In addition, Reishi may support healthy lower urinary tract function in men.
- Antioxidants: Compounds within Reishi mushroom extract are said to have antioxidant activity.
Reishi mushrooms are commonly consumed in Asian cuisine, including stir-fry dishes and soups. Reishi mushroom extract is also available in convenient capsule form.
Read More →
Retail price: $12.99
Vitacost price: $6.99
Mushroom Extract At Vitacost.com
You might enjoy edible mushrooms on top of your favorite pizza - but have you ever considered consuming them in supplement form? For centuries, these unique plants have been utilized for both culinary and health purposes. And even those who cringe at the thought of fungi in their food may benefit from the nutritional power of mushroom extract formulas.
Types of mushroom supplements
There are more than 10,000 different varieties of mushrooms found throughout the world. But not all are useful in supplement form (in fact, some are poisonous!). Some of the most commonly utilized species include cordyceps, maitake, blazei and reishi mushrooms.
Benefits of mushroom supplements
If you’re not familiar with mushroom extract formulas, you might be surprised to find out how the most popular species can support various areas of health, especially immune function:
See All Mushroom Supplement Products
- Reishi: Reishi mushroom benefits include support for healthy function of human immune cells
- Cordyceps: This extract is believed to help activate the body’s immune responses
- Maitake: Consumed both as a food and as a supplement, maitake mushrooms may be associated with immune function
- Blazei: Known for its subtle almond flavor, blazei promotes a healthy inflammatory response and may support liver health