Most people check (and double-check) their pockets and purses for keys, cell phone and wallet when they leave the house. Me? I’m terrified of leaving my lip balm behind. So it shouldn’t be any surprise that I have a habit of mixing up my own tubes and tins of the stuff. It’s easy, it’s inexpensive and you’ll always have some on hand when your lips need a quick swipe.
Green Tea & Citrus Lip Balm
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp dried organic green tea
- 1 Tbsp cocoa butter (if using solid, raw cocoa butter, be sure to grate it)
- 3 drops sweet orange oil
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil (can use the contents of vitamin E capsule)
Combine coconut oil and dried green tea in a small saucepan. Steep on very low heat for 1 hour. Strain and return to (cleaned) pot, on low heat. Add cocoa butter and stir gently until melted. Remove from heat, add sweet orange oil and vitamin E oil, stir well. Transfer to small containers and let cool until completely set.
Coconut-Beeswax Lip Balm
This is my favorite basic lip balm recipe. Once you get used to making it, you can add in your preferred scents (essential oils like peppermint or lavender) or colors (beet root powder makes a pleasant pink!)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon beeswax beads or pellets (use 1 extra Tbsp if you’re adding your lip balm to plastic tubes)
- 1 tablespoon shea butter or cocoa butter
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Make your own double boiler by placing the saucepan inside a larger pot of water. Bring the large pot to a rolling boil and gently stir contents of smaller pot until melted. Beeswax hardens quickly, so you’ll need to keep re-melting it as you fill up your tins or tubes.
Chocolate-Peppermint Lip Balm
- 1 Tbsp beeswax beads or pellets
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbsp shea butter
- 1/2 Tbsp cocoa butter
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp vitamin E oil (can use the contents of vitamin E capsule)
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
In a small saucepan, combine shea and cocoa butters, then add coconut oil. Make your own double boiler by placing the saucepan inside a larger pot of water, bring to a gentle boil. Stir well until melted and combined (may take up to 20 min). Add beeswax and stir. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in cocoa powder, honey, vitamin E and peppermint oil. Transfer to tins or tubes and allow to cool and set.