Sunscreens. Lotions. Serums. Toners. Cleansers. Now that I’m in my 30s, my bathroom countertop is cluttered with an array of skincare essentials. And although my husband has unfettered access to my arsenal, his skincare routine has always consisted of one product: a bar of soap. That is, until recently.
I decided to order a few specially targeted men’s skincare products. I figured the “manly” scents, colors, packaging and even product names would make him feel comfortable about using moisturizer and eye cream for the first time.
Good news! He not only embraced each product with an open mind (and without a fight), he loved them all — and agreed to give his honest feedback so that I could share it with you:
1. Every Man Jack Body Wash and Shower Gel – Cedarwood: Two thumbs up for the “classic” natural scent and the no-frills packaging. The coconut-based surfactants lather well to cleanse and keep skin moisturized. We’re cautious about what goes down our drain, so we’re both happy that this one doesn’t have any weird chemical dyes or fragrances.
2. Bulldog Natural Skincare Original Moisturizer: This one is my personal favorite because of the way it smells – and the fact that the smell lingers (lightly) all day long. He agreed with my assessment about the scent and added, “it keeps my face really soft and smooth.” See, moisturizer isn’t so scary after all.
3. Aubrey Men’s Stock Daily Rejuvenating Eye Cream: Although the thought of using an eye cream rarely crossed his mind, he was pretty happy with this formula. It’s really lightweight, it “almost feels like putting on nothing” and it seems to be softening the lines and creases around his eyes. Not that I’d love him any less with a million more wrinkles! (Awww. But it’s true.)
4. Kiss My Face Shave Moisture Shave – Fragrance Free: This one isn’t made specifically for men, but I noticed he’d stolen mine from the shower before — so I ordered a second one to keep on the bathroom counter. No more canned shaving creams in this house; he said, “I can tell this one is a much higher quality. I always get a close shave and my skin feels good.”
5. Herban Cowboy Milled Bar Soap: I love this one because it doesn’t melt and turn the soap tray into a total mess. He likes it because it smells great (albeit a bit strong – but luckily I enjoy the scent, too) and doesn’t make his skin feel dry and tight. More pluses: it’s made with vegetarian ingredients and contains no harsh dyes or synthetic substances.
6. Tom’s of Maine Men’s Deodorant – Spring: It’s not a skincare product, but this deodorant swap was a huge victory. Even though the popular drugstore deodorant in the bright red packaging — you know the one — always made his skin itchy (from the propylene glycol, perhaps?), my husband had been hesitant to try a natural brand. He was happily surprised that this one “smelled clean” and kept him comfortable. He’s not sure whether it’ll withstand the summer heat in South Florida – I’ll have to report back next year.