Loaded with protein from chickpeas, falafels are the original plant-based meat substitute. This recipe breaks off slightly from tradition with the addition of cauliflower, chia seeds and oats. Plus, these delightful, bite-sized balls are baked instead of fried, making them a healthier option for you! Prep your pitas, find your favorite hummus and get baking!
Makes 24 falafels
Recipe courtesy of Sarena Shasteen for Bob’s Red Mill
3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds
2-1/2 cups chickpeas
1 head cauliflower, steamed
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet (or a couple small ones) with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse cauliflower and onion until finely chopped. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- In the same processor, puree chickpeas until almost smooth, leaving a few chunks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chia seeds, rolled oats, baking powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Stir in cauliflower mixture and pureed chickpeas until combined.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup for each falafel and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.