Don’t throw the seeds out with the skin! In this baked spaghetti squash recipe, the seeds are a key ingredient. Lightly seasoned and toasted, they add a delicious crunch to a scrumptious, I-can’t-believe-it’s-vegan butter, garlic and herb sauce. But the goodness doesn’t stop at your taste buds. Squash seeds also pack nutrients into this dish because they’re loaded with vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber. Dig in!
1 spaghetti squash
2 sticks soy-free, vegan butter (like Miyoko’s)
1-2 cloves garlic, diced (or jarred garlic)
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
Dried oregano, to taste
Crushed red pepper, to taste
Pinch sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In shallow baking dish, add 1/2 inch water. Poke holes in squash and place in dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. When done, let cool and cut in half.
- Remove seeds from squash. Place on baking sheet. Lightly spray with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until toasted. (Note: if you hear the seeds popping, remove them from oven.)
- With a fork, remove strands from squash and put in large bowl.
- In small food processor or blender, combine butter, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, crushed red pepper and oregano. Process until well blended.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti squash strands. Top with toasted seeds and more crushed red pepper and fresh basil or parsley.