Ditch the donuts. Crush the croissant cravings. And let go of the marbled loaves. Here’s what you can have for breakfast: homemade muffins. You won’t waste time standing in line at the coffee house to get one. In fact, no coffee needed at all. These “berry” good muffins won’t cause the slumps or crashes you get from those bakery goods. With whole grains, fresh fruit and plant-powered protein, your body will be comfortably full and naturally energized until the lunch bell rings.
Berry Good Vegan Muffins
1 scoop Vega Berry Performance Protein Powder
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
2/3 cup water
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners. Coat liners with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together protein powder, flour, flaxseed, water and sugar until well combined.
- Add applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Dough will have a somewhat sticky consistency.
- Carefully fold in blueberries, adding more or using less as you see fit. I like my muffins loaded with berries!
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup almost to the brim. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Note: these muffins are extremely gooey. If you want a grainier texture, use oat flour.