Dark, cold and gloomy—it’s just another winter’s day. Snow and ice might keep you trapped inside, but it doesn’t have to keep your spirits down. Perk up with a warming butternut squash soup, garnished with fresh basil leaves and swirls of cashew cream. With thick, creamy coconut milk and hemp seeds for added nutrients, your dreary day just got a whole lot brighter.
Butternut Squash + Toasted Hemp Seed Soup
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. fresh ginger, shaved (add more, if desired)
¾ can full-fat coconut milk
1-2 tsp. coconut aminos
Hemp or squash seeds, toasted, for garnish
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Cashew cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake butternut squash for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil until lightly fragrant.
- In a large soup pot, combine onions, baked squash, jalapeño, ginger, coconut milk and coconut aminos. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium low. Cook covered for 20-25 (or until your cravings give in and you can’t wait anymore) to allow the flavors to blend.
- Carefully transfer mixture to a high-speed blender. Process until thick and creamy.
- Swirl in cashew cream, if desired. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and toasted hemp seeds.