This heavenly fall treat is one you’ll want to keep making long after the season passes. Enjoy tart Granny Smith apples mixed into a warm, gooey filling topped with crispy oats. Drizzled with warm caramel, this apple crumble is best served with a scoop of homemade coconut-cardamom “nice cream” for an exotically spiced finish.
Prep time: 35 minutes
1 cup Simple Truth Organic Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 cup organic salted butter, softened
1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening
1-3/4 cups organic flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & chopped
3 Tbsp. organic flour
2 6-oz. pkg. caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, butter and shortening until creamy. Mix in flour, oats, salt and baking soda.
- In 9×13-in. ungreased baking pan, pat down oat mixture, reserving 2 cups for top layer. Set aside.
- In bowl, toss apples with flour. Sprinkle apples over oat crust. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, warm caramels over low heat until melted; stirring frequently. Drizzle caramel over apples and sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until brown, bubbly and apples are tender.