Bye-bye, banana nut bread. Ciao, carrot cake. There’s a new sweet and savory snack to devour at brunch or enjoy with your afternoon tea. And, it’s vegan and filled with good-for-you ingredients! Made with shredded coconut, banana, carrots and nuts, these scones have a tasty tropical flavor and hearty texture. Your brunch just got a whole lot nuttier.
Carrot Coco-Nut Scones
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
3 chia/flax eggs (3 Tbsp. chia or flax + 3 Tbsp. water)
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, plus more, if necessary
1 ripe banana, mashed
½ cup unrefined virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 carrots, shredded
Pure liquid stevia, to taste, optional
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or cast-iron skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine chia or flax with water. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, shredded coconut, cinnamon and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, combine chia or flax eggs, milk, banana, coconut oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ones. Stir in the carrots.
- Drop the batter into small discs onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. (Baking times will vary based on the size of your scones.)