Tired of serving cliché snacks—like chips and dip—at your family gatherings? We totally feel you! Next time, opt for a colorful, healthy alternative that’s as much fun to put together as it is to eat. This vibrant plant-based cashew “cheeseboard” features five creamy spreads, fresh fruit, dried fruit, crackers, pretzels and more for the ultimate grazing table centerpiece.
The initial recipe, which calls for one special ingredient in particular (*cough* probiotics *cough*). shows you how to make one plain cashew cheese wheel. The steps that follow explain how to create unique flavors including:
- Herb-Coated “Cheese” Wheel
- Blueberry Smash Breakfast “Cheese”
- Pistachio & Sun-Dried Tomato Holiday “Cheese”
- Chocolate Chip & Pecan “Cheesecake” Wheel with Strawberry Jam
Your guests will go absolutely nuts over this spread—not to mention, they’ll have no idea the “cheese’ is dairy-free. Happy holidays!
Yields 4-5 servings per wheel
Plain (Cheese Base)
1. To make the base cheese, drain and rinse soaked cashews. Set aside.
2. In blender, combine cashews, probiotic powder (from capsule) and water until smooth.
3. Line colander with two cheese cloths. Pour in mixture and fold cheesecloth on top. Place on counter (find a warm spot) to culture for roughly 24-36 hours.
4. Mix salt into cultured cheese and stir to combine. Press mixture into desired mold and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
5. To serve, arrange cheese wheel(s) on platter or wooden tray with fresh fruit, dried fruit, cookies, pretzels, medjool dates, sundried tomatoes, grapes, crackers and whatever else your heart desires!
3 tsp. fresh thyme
3 tsp. fresh rosemary
4 Tbsp. fresh parsley
1-1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
Directions: Roll plain base cheese into herb mix. Allow to set in fridge after rolling to hold shape.
4 tsp. blueberries, smashed
2 tsp. blueberries, chopped
Directions: Add smashed and chopped blueberries into plain cheese base. Mix together and place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours to set.
Directions: Mix herbs into cheese and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set in mold. Roll cheese wheel in pistachio and sun-dried tomato.
Directions: Combine plain base cheese, chocolate chips and maple syrup. Set in refrigerator to set. Remove and roll in cookie crumbles to coat.
Chef’s tip: Get creative! Use the plain base cheese as you wish to create more delicious flavors.