Soft, fuzzy blankets, the crackling of a fire and comforting stews in large, oversize bowls—that’s what you miss when the weather warms up. Make the most of the chilly days still ahead and relive your favorites parts of winter with this hearty, vegetarian stew. Coming together in less than 30 minutes, this dish is perfect for those cold and busy weeknights when you’d rather cozy up in bed than cook. Grab your blanket, start the fire and savor every spoonful.
Chickpea Stew with Tomato, Kale and Lemon
19 oz. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
28 oz. canned whole tomatoes, roughly broken
1 bunch (about 6 cups) lacinato kale, de-stemmed, leaves roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh lemon thyme or regular fresh thyme, plus more for serving
½ tsp. chili flakes
½ tsp. salt
Zest and juice of 1 sweet lemon or meyer lemon or regular lemon (2–3 Tbsp. of juice)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil. Cook garlic, fresh thyme, chili flakes and salt until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes lemon juice and zest.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and cook for another 2 minutes, until kale has wilted.
- Top with more thyme to serve.