You’ve probably come to accept certain things about pistachio pudding cake, namely that its lackluster ingredient list includes a boxed cake mix and instant pudding. And that it’s overflowing with calories, carbs, cholesterol and sodium. We’re not trying to knock tradition; a simple dessert can be a godsend. But your healthy diet needs a treat that’s as easy as pudding cake and made of healthy goodness. This soft, pudding-like cake features wholesome ingredients, like whole grain bulgur, real pistachios, dates and orange juice. Plus, it only takes about 30 minutes of active cooking time. It’s delicious and a piece of cake! Literally!
Citrus Pistachio Pudding Cake with Bulgur
½ cup golden bulgur
½ cup date pieces
1 tsp. orange zest
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
2 eggs (yolks and whites divided)
1-¾ cups water
¾ cup milk
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup honey
½ cup pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil, along with dates, orange zest, orange juice and honey. Reduce heat and cook, simmering for 10 minutes, until dates are soft.
- Add bulgur and salt to pot and cook covered for 20 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and take off lid. Let cool for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and cardamom. Add bulgur mixture and pistachios and mix until combined.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks. Add to the bulgur and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.