The hazards of winter can be harsh on your skin, causing dryness, itching, irritations and more. Take special care of your skin this winter by following these quick tips:
- Avoid hot water. A long, hot shower may be tempting, but stick with warm water. Hot water can strip away your body’s precious natural moisture, leading to dryness and irritations.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Reapply moisturizer as needed, which may be upwards of 2-3 times a day during the winter. Pay special attention to your hands, face, elbows and any other part of your body exposed to dry air or harsh weather.
- Drink plenty of water. Winter weather can dry out your skin and body. Keep your skin hydrated from the inside out by drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Keep using sunscreen. Even in the cold months of winter, your skin is still exposed to harmful rays from the sun that can cause sunburn, age spots, wrinkles and more. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UV-A and UV-B radiation and consider using a lip balm with added sun protection as well.
- Protect skin from the elements. This may sound obvious, but the best way to protect your skin from windburn, dryness and other irritations is to keep it covered. Scarves, gloves and hats may just be your skin’s best friends!