If you shower every day – or even several times a week – you’re likely using ample amounts of soap, shampoo and/or body wash. Not only can it get expensive, but think about all the ingredients in these products that seep into your skin. If you’re not splurging on natural brands, you might want to consider making your own. This DIY shower gel combines soothing shea butter, plant- based oils and pure essential oil for a bath that’s blissful – and safe! We’re not saying you should hop in more than once a day, but with a cleanser like this, it might be hard to resist.
DIY Body Wash and Shower Gel
¼ cup castile soap
1 Tbsp. vegetable glycerin
2 Tbsp. shea butter
1 Tbsp. jojoba oil
1 Tbsp. almond oil
1 tsp. xanthan gum
¼ cup warm distilled water
12 drops essential oil (orange, grapefruit, lavender or your favorite scent)
1. Combine shea butter and water in small saucepan; melt over low heat on stove.
2. Stir in oils. Use immersion hand blender to blend. Transfer to heat-safe bowl.
3. Stir in xanthan gum; let sit 1 to 2 minutes, then add castile soap. Blend again.
4. Stir in glycerin and essential oil; blend well. (Note: Mixture should be creamy and thick.)
5. Pour mixture into bottle or dispenser. Best if used within a few weeks.