Ahhh, a day at the spa. We could all use one, and we certainly deserve one. But tight budgets and busy schedules often keep dreamy, pampering retreats out of reach. Luckily, you can mix up your own spa treatments right at home with ingredients already stocked in your refrigerator and kitchen cabinets. Escape from stress–even if only for a short time–and nourish your skin and hair with healthy, natural treatments that cost next to nothing to make.
Homemade spa treatments are also a great gift, especially when packaged in pretty bottles and jars and tucked into an elegant box or basket. Mix the dry ingredients in jars, then print instructions for the recipient to complete the simple recipes with fresh components.
If making the treatments for yourself, only store them as long as the shelf life of the most perishable ingredient. It’s also a good idea to sterilize jars and bottles in boiling water before assembling to prevent contamination.
All of the ingredients for the following home-spa treatments can be found either at your local grocery store, or right here at Vitacost.com. Go ahead, live a little! Here’s how:
Moisturizing Hair Treatment
For swimmers or anyone with dry hair, this homemade spa treatment helps combat the effects of chlorine damage and adds moisture.
3 Tbsp. olive oil
½ medium-sized cucumber, peeled and chopped
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Spread evenly through hair, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
Facial Blemish Remedy
This homemade spa recipe helps fight blemishes, naturally.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender to make a paste.
- Apply to skin blemishes, using enough of the mixture to cover fully. Leave in place for 10 minutes.
- Remove with a damp washcloth, rinse and pat dry.
Cocoa Facial Mask
This creamy mask is an excellent moisturizer, leaving skin smooth and baby soft. This treatment is recommended for normal skin.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor or a blender.
- Smooth the mixture onto your face. Relax for 10 minutes.
- Wash away with warm water and pat face dry.
Strawberry and Olive Oil Hand and Foot Exfoliant
Strawberries contain a natural fruit acid which helps with exfoliation.
- Mix together all ingredients in a food processor or blender to make a paste.
- Massage mixture onto hands and feet, working over a sink or tub. Leave mixture in place for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry.