Every year, it’s the same old story. As the New Year approaches, you resolve to start going to the gym, eating better, taking more time to relax, and so on. But by mid-January, you’re back in your old routine. So this year, why wait? Get a head start on your resolution right now, and take the necessary steps to make it stick!
1. Get Psyched Up: Prepare yourself mentally for change by evaluating why you want to do it in the first place. The more reasons, the better!
2. Think Small: When making a resolution, beware of broad, vague or unrealistic goals. Stick to small, easily measurable objectives that can be accomplished one at a time.
3. Formulate a Plan: Without a plan of action, accomplishing your goals can be next to impossible. Think about the specific details of each step ““ for example, if you resolve to exercise more often, decide exactly when and where you will do so ahead of time. Make sure your plan is non-negotiable ““ no excuses!
4. Make it Public: Don’t just write down your resolution, go public with it. Tell a trusted friend or start a progress blog to share your story with the world. Announcing your goals to others is a great way to garner the support you need to stay on track.
5. Stay Positive: Don’t be discouraged by mistakes or misdirection. Remain positive and get back on track as quickly as possible. Adapt or revise your goals if necessary instead of abandoning them altogether.
6. Don’t Stop at One: Once you reach your initial goal, don’t stop. Continue to set (and achieve) additional objectives, and stick with any healthy habits you’ve developed along the way!