Thought you knew everything about your body’s functions? Think again! These five surprising facts are just a small fraction of what your body is capable of:
1. You can function longer without food than sleep. The body can survive without solid sustenance (this excludes water) for approximately four to eight weeks ““ but in just a few days without sleep, even basic skills such as speaking can become difficult. Another reason not to skimp on shut-eye!
2. Every seven years, your body produces the equivalent of an entire new skeleton. Bone is made up of living tissue that must be constantly replaced. The bone breakdown and rebuilding process occurs continuously, producing new bone material every day. With that in mind, it’s no surprise that in seven years, your entire skeleton can be renewed!
3. The surface of your skin is home to more than 30 million different bacteria. Sound gross? It’s not all bad ““ in fact, many of the bacteria that call your skin home are actually helpful and may help protect you from invading pathogens, viruses and parasites.
4. Every three to four days, you grow a new stomach lining. The stomach is a volatile environment, with strong acids in place to help you digest and break down food. For this reason, the delicate lining of the stomach must be continually replaced to prevent damage or destruction.
5. The brain accounts for only 2% of your body mass, but consumes 20% of your oxygen supply. For something that takes up a relatively small amount of space, the brain is a big drain on your oxygen supply. But it’s for good reason ““ the brain contains more than 100 billion neurons that process information and control all bodily functions.