Would you like a side of rice with that? Before you plop a scoopful next to your main course, consider the competition vying for real estate on your plate. When you’ve got savory favorites like sweet potato mash, quinoa pilafs and herbed baked potatoes, does plain rice really measure up? If you’re serving scoops of black rice tossed with roasted Brussels sprouts, crisp celery and a tangy citrus vinaigrette, it definitely deserves a prime spot. Clear room on your plate–you’ll want a generous serving.
Black Rice Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Citrus Vinaigrette
- In a medium-size pan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook covered for 40 minutes. When finished, remove from heat and let steam for 5 minutes while still covered.
- While rice cooks, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts with avocado oil and roast for 15-20 minutes until slightly softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, celery and salt and toss to combine. Add roasted sprouts and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine white wine vinegar, flaxseed oil, juice and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Serve chilled, warm or at room temperature.