You love red velvet cake, so why not enjoy it in cookie form, too? Give chocolate chip cookies a rest and try this unique sweet instead. This recipe calls for beet juice to color the cookies, and features a simple but delicious cream cheese frosting. Trust us, you’ll have trouble keeping even the adults out of the cookie jar! Don’t forget to use organic ingredients when possible.
12 Tbsp. butter, softened & divided
1 cup organic cane sugar
3 tsp. Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, divided
2 tsp. beet juice or natural red food coloring
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 oz. cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
- In large mixing bowl (or stand mixer), combine sugar and 8 tablespoons butter. Mix for about 1 minutes, until creamy. Add egg, beet juice and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Form dough into a ball, fold parchment paper around dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature, until soft and easy to roll out.
- Unfold parchment paper, place another large piece of parchment over top of ball, and then roll out dough. (The parchment paper underneath and on top of the dough will make for easy cleanup.)
- Cut dough into desired shapes, place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- In small mixing bowl, combine remaining 4 tablespoons butter and cream cheese. Mix until creamy. Add powdered sugar and whisk until well combined. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk again until well combined.
Spread frosting on cookies and serve. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar in place of frosting.
Curious about our other clever red velvet creations? Try this rich red velvet smoothie for a delicious protein-packed breakfast or snack.