Ready for spring? This creamy, luscious dessert is sure to beat those cold weather blues. This Banana Cream Pie, made with a delicious, crumbly gluten-free crust, is filled with sweet, creamy banana and topped with homemade whipped cream. There’s no need to wait for a special occasion to enjoy this delightful dessert!
Gluten-Free Banana Cream Pie
½ package gluten free pie crust mix, prepared, formed & frozen
½ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 lb fresh bananas (about 3), sliced ¼-inch thin
3 egg yolk
2-½ cups cream, divided
1-½ cups milk, divided
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup dried banana chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line the frozen pie shell with parchment paper, cover fluted edges with tin foil and fill shell with pie weights.
- Place pie shell in the center of the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove shell from oven and take off pie weights and parchment paper, leaving the foil. Reduce heat to 325 F and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden-brown and baked through.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat 1-½ cup cream and ½ cup milk over medium heat until steaming.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together sugar, cornstarch and salt. In a separate bowl, whish together the egg yolks and remaining 1 cup of milk. Add the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Add about ¾ cup of hot cream mixture to egg mixture, ¼ cup at a time, whisking continuously.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into pot, whisking continuously. Continue to cook while still whisking for 10 minutes, until creamy and thick. When you can see the bottom of the pot while whisking, it is done.
- Pour cream into a cool bowl, passing through a mesh strainer. Add butter and vanilla extract and mix until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes to cool.
- Once cooled, fold bananas into cream and pour into baked pie shell. Cover the top with plastic and chill for at least one hour. (Note: make sure the plastic wrap touches the top of the cream.)
- Before serving, whip together powdered sugar and remaining 1 cup of cream to medium peaks. Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream. Garnish with banana chips, if desired.