Pizza cravings strike at the worst possible times. They sneak up when you’re most vulnerable, between or right before your next meal. You don’t want to completely stray from your healthy diet, but those pangs are difficult to ignore. For a diet-friendly alternative to your favorite not-so-good food, whip up these flatbread tarts. Quick, easy and versatile, this flatbread recipe uses gluten-free garbanzo bean flour for a dose of protein in addition to belly-pleasing carbs. Serve them as a side or appetizer with your favorite pizza toppings or even with fresh fruit and berries.
Gluten-Free Pizza Flatbreads with Tomato & Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Sarena Shasteen
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 4 large muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add soda water, egg whites and apple cider vinegar and mix.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin tins and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with tomato slices, cheese and sprinkles of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 more minutes or until the edges are browned.
Note: To make mini loaves, bake batter in 2 greased mini loaf pans for 20-25 minutes or until edges are browned.