You bake brownies when you’re craving chocolate. But they’re probably not your go-to when salty, crispy pretzels are on your mind. Sometimes your taste buds demand sweet and salty, so you need a dessert option that can satisfy both. Enter Salted Pretzel Brownies. This spin on classic chocolate brownies adds a crumby, salty pretzel crust and a rich, fudgy frosting sprinkled with pretzel bits to satisfy the demands of your sweet tooth. Made with a gluten-free mix, even those with sensitive tummies can enjoy this finger-licking treat.
Gluten-Free Salted Pretzel Brownies
21 oz. package Gluten-Free Brownie Mix
¾ cup warm water
¾ cup butter, melted
1-½ cup gluten-free pretzels, crushed* (about 5 oz)
½ cup butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
12 oz. chocolate chips
½ cup gluten-free pretzels, crushed
1 – 2 Tbsp. large flake sea salt
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1-½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13” x 9” baking pan.
- First, prepare the crust. In a food processor or high-speed blender, grind pretzels into small, chunky pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine pretzel grounds, sugar and melted butter and mix until combined. Pour mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan and press down to spread and flatten.
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove and set aside to cool while preparing brownies.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brownie mix, egg, water and butter. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until just combined.
- Once the pretzel crust has cooled, pour brownie batter into pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs. When fully baked, let cool completely before frosting.
- While brownies bake, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk to melt chocolate. Stir frequently to prevent burning and remove from heat when fully melted.
- Add vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture and use a spatula to spread chocolate over brownies. Sprinkle with crushed pretzels and sea salt.