Presentation isn’t everything (some of our messiest creations have proven to be the tastiest!). But when you have plans to entertain, serving a show-stopping dessert is practically a must. Topped with a mound of fresh strawberries and mangoes, leave it to this sweet-and-summery trifle to give your guests something to ooh and aah over. It’s surprisingly simple and can be easily customized to fit your tastes. This particular version features layers of gluten-free pound cake, but feel free to use your favorite pound cake recipe instead!
Yields 1 large trifle; serves 18
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
1-1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup Vitacost Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, melted
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease 9-in. pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, whisk almond flour, gluten-free baking flour, salt, baking powder and baking. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together until pale yellow (about 4 minutes if whisking by hand).
4. Add melted butter, vanilla extract and coconut oil to egg mixture and whisk to combine.
5. Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and use spatula to mix until fully combined.
6. Pour mixture into pan and bake 40-50 minutes, until cake bounces back slightly when touched and knife inserted into center comes out clean.
7. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, then flip over and remove from pan. Let cool fully. Slice in half to create two layers. Cut into half-inch to 1-inch pieces.
8. To make whipped cream, place mixing bowl and beaters or whisk in freezer for 10 minutes. In bowl, whisk coconut cream and confectioner’s sugar for 2-3 minutes until mixture has thickened (if using beaters, whisk on high).
9. To assemble, fill trifle bowl with a layer of pound cake. Add whip cream layer. Top with mangoes and strawberries. Repeat.
10. Cover and store in fridge for up to 3 days.