Thinking about going green? Afraid that making the switch to environmentally friendly products will cost too much money, time and effort? Well, read on! Listed below are the top ten reasons why you should buy organic products”¦
· Certified organic products meet stringent standards: Certified organic products have been grown and handled according to strict procedures without toxic chemicals or pesticides.
· Organic food tastes great: Well-balanced soils (free of pesticides and chemicals) produce strong, healthy plants that become nourishing food for people and animals.
· Organic production reduces health risks: Buying organic agriculture is one way to help prevent harmful pesticides from getting into the air, earth and water that sustain us.
· Organic farms respect our water resources: The elimination of polluting chemicals and nitrogen leaching, combined with soil building techniques, protects and conserves water resources.
· Organic farmers build healthy soil: The primary focus of organic farming is to use practices that build healthy soils.
· Organic farmers work in harmony with nature: Wildlife is encouraged to forage crops in rotation and by retaining fence rows, wetlands, and other natural areas.
· Organic producers are leaders in innovative research: Research focuses on reducing pesticide use and minimizing agriculture’s impact on the environment.
· Organic producers strive to preserve plant diversity: The loss of a large variety of plant species is one of the most pressing environmental concerns. Organic farmers and gardeners collect and preserve seeds.
· Organic farming helps keep rural communities healthy: The USDA reported that in 1997, half of U.S. organic farm production came from only 2% of farms. Organic agriculture can be a lifeline for small farms because it offers an alternative market where sellers can command fair prices for crops.
· Organic abundance: Every food category currently has an organic alternative. And more and more non-food agricultural products are being grown organically and offered at comparable prices.
Are you convinced yet? Switching to organic products will not only protect your physical health, but your mental health as well. You will sleep peacefully at night, assured that you are helping to protect the earth’s precious natural resources!
(Information included is cited from Organic Trade Corporation, 2009)