The next time you fetch a treat for your favorite furry friend, stop to look at the box. Would you eat it? Our three pups are part of the family, so what so what lands in their bowls matters as much as what I serve on our own plates every day. When they sit, stay or roll over, I want to toss them rewards that are actually rewarding“”not artificial ingredient-packed, rock-hard hazards to their health. These homemade “bones” call for 100% natural ingredients, including a splash of fish oil for extra nutrition or parsley for fresh breath.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients until dough comes together (don’t overmix!).
3. Use rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4″ thickness on lightly-floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, or cut into squares or bars the right size for your dog.
4. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes. Flip and continue baking until hard, about 30 to 40 minutes total.
Fresh Breath “Bones”
1- ½ cups whole wheat flour
1- ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 stick melted butter or 8 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
3/4 cup yogurt or silken tofu
1 Tbsp. honey or agave
5 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
4 Tbsp. grated carrots
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (I use my hands and add a little water if mixture is too dry).
3. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to ½” thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, or cut into squares or bars the right size for your dog. Prick tops with fork a few times.
4. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.