Stress is no match for the soothing power of a warm bath. And when you toss in an essential-oil-infused effervescent bath bomb? The troubles of the day melt away faster than your fancy fizzy can dissolve. Give the gift of stress relief to someone you love with these easy-to-make bath fizzies. They’re perfect for best friends, sisters, moms, grandmas, aunts, nieces, teachers, hairdressers, co-workers or anyone who could use a bit of pampering – don’t forget to save a few for yourself!
What you’ll need
- 1 cup baking soda
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup citric acid
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- Natural food coloring (the same natural dyes you make at Easter will do!)
- Your favorite essential oil(s) (pink grapefruit, lavender, lemon, peppermint – the possibilities are endless!)
- Large bowl
- Mixing spoon or whisk
- Spray bottle with water
- Plastic gloves
- Silcone or plastic mold (tip: silicone ice cube trays yield nice square bath fizzies)
- Cellophane bags or jars
- In large bowl, combine baking soda, cornstarch and citric acid. (Be careful not to get undiluted citric acid powder on your skin, as it may cause minor irritation.)
- Once the mixture is well combined, add the sugar and mix again.
- Add a few quick spritzes of water to lightly moisten the mixture – you want it to mix together and be moldable, like dough. If you add too much water, your mixture will start to fizz like it’s already in the bath!
- Add natural dye and essential oil(s) to the mixture and combine until you get the scent and color you want.
- With gloved hands, bind together mixture and press into your mold. Be sure to press hard to make sure it’s compact with no air bubbles – otherwise your bath fizzies will form cracks as they dry.
- Leave fizzies in molds for at least 24 hours to let them set and dry. If they’re still not dry, allow them to sit out on towel and air dry.
- Place fizzies into jars or cellophane bags to give as gifts.