Sugar cookies? Sure. Honey cookies? Even better. Honey cookies that are also gluten- and dairy-free? Now we’re really talking! There are certain dessert favorites that are hard to outdo, but if you have food sensitivities, you have no choice but to seek alternatives. That’s why this recipe skips butter and swaps no-fail gluten-free flour in place of the conventional variety to make chewy-on-the-inside, crisp-on-the-outside treats that are easier on your digestive system.
Gluten- & Dairy-Free Honey Cookies
Recipe courtesy of Sarena Shasteen
Makes 30 cookies
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 large egg
½ cup + 2 Tbsp. lightly flavored extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use parchment paper to line a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, olive oil and honey. Add egg and vanilla and mix for a few minutes until sugar fully dissolves.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add dry mixture to the wet. Mix together until dough is just combined.
- Place turbinado sugar into a bowl or small plate. Scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll into turbinado sugar. Repeat with remainder of dough. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheet, keeping them a couple of inches from each other.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.