Have you ever washed you face, only to feel a scummy residue on your skin shortly after? You’re likely feeling the effects of hard water. Affecting over 85% of the country, hard water is defined by high levels of calcium and magnesium in the water. While hard water isn’t harmful to your health, it can take a toll on your skin, hair, clothes and home.
Hard water hinders almost every cleaning chore from washing dirty clothes and dishes to bathing and daily personal care. Garments washed in hard water may end up looking faded and feel rough, while dishes and glasses may be splotchy when dried. Hard water can also be blamed for the gross, hard-to-clean film on your shower walls, doors, tubs, sinks and nozzles. Imagine the similar, pore-clogging residue that is left behind on your skin! To protect your skin and hair from the damaging effects of hard water, follow these easy tips:
- Freshly washed hair in hard water may feel tacky and end up looking dull and dismal due to the buildup of calcium and magnesium in your strands. Start using a clarifying shampoo to detoxify and purify your hair and eliminate the accumulation of calcium and magnesium.
- Spritz you hair with a leave-in-treatment to supply proteins and nutrients to the hair follicles and scalp. This will help strengthen and protect your hair over time.
- Apply a moisturizing oil to damp or dry hair to boost hydration and moisture retention. The Advanced Argan Oil with USDA Certified Organic and baobab-enhanced argan oil delivers ultra-conditioning and hydrating essential fatty acids and vitamin E to revive hair with mega-moisture for a luminous shine.
- The impurities found in hard water can act as free radicals, which link to healthy skin cells and then abolish them. This can lead to a breakdown in collagen causing a noticeable increase in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Use a nutrient rich moisturizer to hydrate and support collagen production. The Supreme Polypeptide Cream with Matrixyl® synthe’6™ reduces wrinkle volume and wrinkle depth while Proteasyl TP® pea peptide improves skin’s elasticity, increasing overall firmness. Rice peptides improve skin smoothness while Syn®-Coll Peptide triggers skin’s own reparative function to accelerate collagen production.
- Hard water can lead to skin irritation and even breakouts. Eliminate the likelihood of a reaction by cleansing with a purifying cleanser like the Fruit Enzyme Cleanser, a gentle deep cleanser that removes dull, dead skin cells to promote healthy-looking skin. Powerful multi-fruit AHAs and antioxidants purify pores to improve the skin’s texture for a radiant complexion.
- You can purchase a home filter system for your shower which is the most ideal way to guarantee water doesn’t continue to cause irritation to your skin. (First, test your water supply to make sure it’s necessary!)
- Hard water contains impurities that can cause chemical reactions in the skin’s natural oils (sebum), turning into residue that then clogs pores and leads to breakouts. Prevent breakouts before they even start with the Clear Skin Spot Treatment. This ultra-clearing and calming spot treatment balances out the oil and other problems associated with blemish-prone skin. Sulphur (6%) purifies, unclogs pores and dries excess oil while zinc repairs and speeds skin’s recovery.
- Start applying a potent, reparative serum daily to reduce the harsh side effects of hard water. The Apple Brightening Serum, blended with apple plant stem cells and Melanostatine® 5 peptide, refines and illuminates skin, reduces the appearance of wrinkles and promotes healthy skin.