Green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes–been there, eaten that. Conventional holiday sides are just so overdone. If your spread could use a kick, you’re in luck. In this one-of-a-kind recipe, earthy, vibrant beets are roasted in sweet, zesty cinnamon for a warming holiday appetizer that’s sure to wow. Served alongside is a yogurt dipping sauce, spiked with turmeric, ginger and garam masala flavors. March to the beet of your own drum and whip up this delightful and unique dish.
Oven Roasted Beet Skewers with Curried Yogurt Sauce
6 medium-sized beets (differing varieties, peeled/cut into 6 wedges each)
3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil or peanut oil
2 tsp. Frontier Organic Cinnamon
Sea salt and organic black pepper, to taste
12 (4-inch) bamboo or metal skewers, or rosemary stems
1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup golden raisins
3/4 tsp. organic turmeric
1/2 tsp. organic garlic powder
1/2 tsp. organic ground ginger
3/4 tsp. organic garam masala (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. organic cayenne pepper
Sea salt and organic white pepper, to taste
- If using bamboo or rosemary skewers, soak in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using rosemary stems, use a skewer to poke “pilot” holes through sides of each beet wedge.
- In a large bowl, toss together oil, cinnamon, salt, pepper and beets.
- Place three beet wedges on each skewer or stem, and arrange in neat rows in a casserole dish.
- Roast beet skewers on top oven shelf for 20 minutes or to desired doneness.
- For dipping sauce, combine raisins and spices in mortar and pestle or food processor and grind to a paste. Stir in lemon juice, then yogurt. Mix, taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Remove skewers from oven and serve immediately with sauce either in a bowl, on the side or drizzled over top.