We don’t usually think of “stir-crazy” as a good thing. But, after you try this delicious recipe, you’ll take it to mean “crazy for stir-fry.” With tart, juicy pineapples, wholesome vegetables and whole grain oats in the place of rice, you’ll see this is not your ordinary fried rice. Rich Thai flavors like coconut and curry enhance the savory, sensory experience that will have you anxiously awaiting the next Meatless Monday.
Pineapple Stir-Fry with Oats
1-¾ cups steel cut oats, soaked overnight in water (gluten-free variation: use gluten-free steel cut oats)
½ cup cashews, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro or mint leaves, minced, divided
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
8 oz. shiitake or button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. brown sugar or date sugar
1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
3 green onions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
1 medium bell pepper, diced
2 medium limes, juiced and zested
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (vegan variation: use ½ cup soft tofu)
3 Tbsp. soy sauce (gluten-free variation: make sure soy sauce is gluten free)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1-½ Tbsp. bottled Thai green curry paste
- Soak oats overnight. Make sure they’re fully covered with water. (For quick method: cook the oats on the stove for 3-5 minutes.) After soaking, drain the oats completely and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Stir-fry mushrooms, white part of green onions and bell pepper. Add oats, brown sugar, soy sauce and curry paste and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Move vegetables and oats to one side of the skillet. Add eggs to the other side and cook until almost done and then mix all contents of the skillet together.
- Add in cashews, coconut flakes and pineapple and cook for additional minute.
- Remove from heat. Mix in half of the herbs, green part of green onions, lime juice and zest.
- Sprinkle with each serving with remaining herbs.
Note: Add any additional veggies you desire to this dish. Peas and carrots would work well.