Puffed rice, puffed corn, puffed grains of all sorts are scooped into cereal bowls and spooned up for breakfast around the world every day. But if you’ve ever given homemade granola bars a whirl, you know the main ingredient – rolled oats – is usually flat. If you prefer a chewy, soft snack, no need to change a thing. But if you like your bars with a bit of crunch, these sweet squares will complete your morning.
Puffed Millet, Coconut & Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Make 16 squares
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
5 cups puffed millet or puffed quinoa
1 cup hemp hearts
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¾ cup dark chocolate chips
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup tahini
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup coconut oil, melted
2/3 cup brown rice syrup
1 tsp. salt
- In large bowl, combine puffed millet, hemp hearts, coconut, chocolate chips, raisins and salt.
- In medium bowl, combine coconut oil, tahini, vanilla and brown rice syrup; mix well.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir well.
- Transfer mixture to parchment paper-lined 9”x13” baking sheet. Press down firmly (use bottom of a loaf pan and apply great pressure; you want these as condensed as possible).
- Refrigerate bars for at least four hours. Use serrated knife to cut into squares.