Pumpkin gets all the props, but what no one notices is all those juicy apples falling from the trees. And it’s not just Granny Smiths. There are over 7,500 different apple varieties around the globe, and a third of those you can find growing in these United States. You couldn’t possibly try them all, but you could start with one new, fresh-tasting fruit: the Honeycrisp. Sliced and served atop this protein cake, you’ll forget all about that orange whatchamacallit.
Salted Caramel Apple Protein Cake
Macros per serving: 160 calories | 13 g protein | 21 g carbs | 3 g fat
4 scoops snickerdoodle protein powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup oats
2 Tbsp. granulated stevia
1 tsp. salt
4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce
4 Tbsp. cane syrup
1 Tbsp. calorie-free caramel syrup, plus some for drizzling
3 Tbsp. liquid egg whites
2 Tbsp. light butter, melted
1 cup unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large Honeycrisp apples, finely diced or sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9” x 9” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together protein powder, oats, stevia and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (except apples) and stir until smooth.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25-35 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Let cool before slicing into 9 even squares. Drizzle with extra syrup before serving.