Smoked paprika has become a highly-anticipated guest star in my culinary creations as of late. I can’t get enough of this vibrant spice and the distinctive flavor it brings to my dishes. It is especially piquant in these vegan bean and beet patties. The paprika intensifies the earthy sweetness of the beets and black beans and creates a deliciously exotic burger.
Smoky Vegan Bean & Beet Patties
2-½ cups canned black beans
1/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
½ lb chunks of beets (about 1 large)
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 clove garlic
1 ½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook quinoa in a small saucepan with 2/3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a food processor with metal blade, add the beets and garlic, and pulse until finely diced. Add beans and pulse until beans are chopped. Add mixture to large mixing bowl with quinoa.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flaxseed, sea salt, smoked paprika, extra-virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Pour this over the beet-quinoa mixture and stir until well combined.
- Divide and form mixture into 4 patties, using about 1/3 cup for each. Place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The patties are done when heated through and edges have become crispy.
- Serve atop gluten-free bread or burger buns. It also works well on top of a salad. Add any toppings you wish!