Hollow out a pepper and you’ve got the perfect package to plump with tasty fillings. Rather than the traditional rice-and-meat combo, scoop in a vegetarian medley of diced zucchini, black beans, pumpkin seeds and spicy dairy-free cheese. Top with cool, creamy avocado slices and fresh pico de gallo to give these stuffed sensations a Mexican twist.
Spicy Stuffed Peppers
4 orange/yellow/green/red bell peppers, cut in quarters
3 zucchini, diced
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds/pepitas
1 cup cooked black beans or pinto beans
1 avocado, diced
Cilantro (for garnish)
Salsa or pico de gallo
Spicy Cashew “Cheeze”
1 cup cashews, soaked for one hour, then drained and rinsed
¼ cup water (adjust to desired consistency)
3 Tbsp. cilantro
½ tsp. chipotle powder (adjust to preferences)
Juice of ½ lemon
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1-2 cloves garlic
¼ cup green onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In high speed blender, add all “cheeze” ingredients and blend to desired consistency.
3. Cut peppers into quarters and de-seed. Place face-up on baking sheet
4. Scoop beans and zucchini into peppers, top with “cheese” and pumpkin seeds.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. (Note: These stuffed peppers can also be enjoyed raw! Give it a try — you’re going to love it!)
6. Serve with avocado and salsa or pico de gallo, adding cilantro sprigs for garnish.