With the holidays quickly approaching and a lot of baking on the horizon, it’s easy to default to your favorite recipes, like pumpkin or sweet potato pie, sugar cookies and fruitcake. While these desserts definitely are delicious staples of the season, why not start a new tradition by — literally — turning things upside down a bit? This cake is a beautiful addition to a sweets table, and the from-scratch rhubarb jam and almond crumble give it a decadent edge over some of the competition.
Courtesy of Sarena Shasteen
1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Fine Crystal Cane Sugar
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup + 1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour, separated
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Medium-Grind Cornmeal
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Fine Crystal Cane Sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 pint strawberries
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9” or 10” cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- To make jam, in medium saucepan, melt butter. While butter is melting, mix together flour and sugar; add mixture and rhubarb to pan and cook 2 to 4 minutes, until liquid thickens and rhubarb softens. Refrigerate mixture to cool.
- To make crumble, in small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut strawberries into 1/2” discs and toss with 1 Tbsp. flour. Press discs into single layer in bottom of cake pan and spread jam on top.
- To make cake, combine all dry cake ingredients, except sugar, in medium bowl. In large bowl, mix together wet ingredients (oil/egg) and sugar. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together. Whisk in buttermilk.
- Pour 1” layer of batter over rhubarb layer. (Note: Do not fill higher than 1” with batter or cake may not bake properly.) Sprinkle on almond crumble.
- Bake cake 30 to 45 minutes, or until top layer is golden brown and firm in center.
- Cool cake for 20 minutes before removing from pan.