Bamboo, a proud member of the grass family, has become increasingly popular in recent years and for good reason. Not only is it the fastest growing plant on Earth (we’re talking three feet of growth in just 24 hours!), but it’s self-regenerating. That means new bamboo shoots will sprout up each year in areas where they’ve already been harvested. Score one for the environment!
Grown primarily in the tropics (think: Asia, Australia, North American, South America and Sub-Saharan Africa), bamboo takes very little effort to cultivate (it doesn’t even require fertilizer!) and reaches its full maturity within just three to five years. There are over 1,000 species of the popular plant and countless applications.
Uses for bamboo
Today, bamboo is used in everything from Asian cuisine and paper goods to bicycles and biofuel. You can even find it in helmets, laptops, steering wheels, flooring, bath towels and clothing. Following are some of our favorite bamboo products.
- The Jojoba Company Jojoba Beed & Bamboo Facial Exfoliant. This rejuvenating EE (Extra Exfoliating) cream contains “a fusion of the finest Australian clays, bamboo, and beads of pure golden jojoba to restore your skin’s natural energy.” It’s free of pesky parabens, mineral oils and artificial fragrances and jam-packed with antioxidants and vitamin E to give you the smooth, glowing skin you’re seeking!
- Nature’s Gate Enriching Shampoo Biotin + Bamboo. “Ideal for thin, damaged hair,” this fragrant, nourishing shampoo doesn’t contain potentially harmful ingredients (e.g., parabens, coco sulfates, butylene glycol) and won’t leave a waxy residue. Follow it up with Nature’s Gate Enriching Conditioner Biotin + Bamboo for the soft, lustrous locks you’ve always longed for!
- Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Breakage Thermal Protectant Spray. Protect and strengthen your hair with this nutrient-rich spray that contains—you guessed it—bamboo extract. It’s been “clinically proven to reduce breakage, by 87%, instantly repairing & strengthening hair while providing maximum anti-breakage protection from chemical treatments and heat styling tools.”
- Alterna Bamboo® Volume Plumping Strand Expand. Can you tell we have a thing for bamboo-based hair care products?! This one actually thickens each individual strand of hair for “beautifully full, manageable body from root to tip.” It’s even safe for hair that’s been color treated!
- Earth Therapeutics Large Bamboo Natural Bristle Paddle Brush. This bamboo brush “gently massages and stimulates while evenly distributing the scalp’s natural oils along the hair shaft while cleaning the hair follicles.” The result? A naturally soft mane that’s easier to tame! Plus, the salon-style paddle brush minimizes static.
- NOW Solutions Real Bamboo Ultrasonic Oil Diffuser. Get your aromatherapy on with this super-quiet, easy-to-clean, BPA-free and—perhaps most important—attractive essential oil diffuser. It has two timer settings, rotating LED lights, a 5,000+ hour run life and a contemporary, rounded bamboo exterior that will add style to any home or office.
- Vitacost – The Clean Collection Bamboo Bath Tissue. This gentle, fragrance-free TP is made from 100% sustainable, regenerative bamboo. It’s “compostable, septic safe and free of chemical dyes,” and if everyone used it, we could save over 20,000 trees from being flushed away daily! Also check out The Clean Collection Bamboo Paper Towels!
- Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby® Sensitive Wipes. Specially formulated for sensitive skin, these gentle wipes contain “a perfect blend of natural and organic ingredients” to clean and soothe your little one. Check them out because baby deserves a little bamboo too. Plus, they biodegrade within 21 days!